Local fire investigators are well-trained and dedicated public servants, but they do not always have the time or the resources necessary to dedicate to a full-fledged arson investigation. If your company has received a claim seeking payment for damages in a fire, you must protect your interests and get all of the facts before paying out on a fraudulent claim.
If there has been a suspicious fire at a home, business, or rental property, it is critical that you determine the cause before paying any money to the customer who claims it was an accident. If it was the result of arson, then your company is not likely to be liable for paying out on the insurance policy. Professional arsonists are experts in staging fires to look like accidents, and foul play may not be detected by the local fire department. At ICS, we have access to Private Fire Investigators who use cutting edge technology to conduct their arson investigations to determine the exact cause of the fire, and possibly discover who started it.
Arson or Fire Loss Investigation Services:
- The arson investigation process will generally be conducted as follows:
- Process the physical scene by examining the structure or scene for fire patterns and other evidence
- Signs of arson that should be investigated include:
- Abnormally large amount of damage
- Low burning with an unidentifiable point of origin
- No “V” burn patterns, unusual burn patterns, and high heat stress
- Lack of accidental causes
- “Negative Corpus” refers to situations in which all possible accidental sources of the fire are ruled out, but no proof is found of arson, so the investigator will submit the most likely cause (insurance companies may pay out based on Negative Corpus theories)
- Separate and unconnected fires
- Windows blown away from the structure
- Evidence of forced entry
- Missing inventory or personal items
- “For Sale” signs in the yard
- Fire extending beyond the perimeter of the structure
- Collect evidence for the arson investigation such as glass, metal, charred wood, and accelerant residue for use in determining the cause of the fire
- Test the materials collected to establish facts, such as burn patterns and flash points of materials, using state-of-the-art test equipment
- Photograph damage and evidence related to the cause of the fire to document findings
- Services that ICS will provide in conjunction with a Arson or Fire Loss Investigation
- Physical and Forensic Evidence Analysis
- Surveillance of Possible Subjects
- Background Checks
- Expert Witness Testimony
- In court to help prosecute the suspected arsonist, or to bolster your insurance claim
- Review the Existing Fire Investigation and Police Reports
- Witness Interviews
ICS Experience and Expertise:
- Operating since 1967
- Far greater operational reach than any other investigative service in the world
- Built through experience and expertise with a mix of law enforcement and military backgrounds
- All services are performed and billed on an hourly basis.
- Investigators are available 24/7.
- Global resources network for domestic and international work
- Constantly evolving technical capabilities to adapt to advances in electronics and technology
- Use of cutting edge technology and equipment
- Free Consultation for Needs Analysis
- Investigation of Scene and Damage to Determine Scope
- Document all Findings and Analyze Physical Evidence
- Present Findings/Theory
- If necessary, provide Expert Witness Testimony
Are You In Need?
If your company has received a customer claim for a fire at a home, business, rental property, or any other real or personal property and you suspect unnatural causes, you need to call ICS immediately to begin a thorough Arson investigation. Arson is a common medium for making fraudulent insurance claims on real property damage. Call ICS for a free consultation for a arson investigation, and let us put dedicated Private Fire Investigators to work to discover the truth behind your fire with thoroughly documented evidence and theories that will be admissible in court.