Embezzlement is the fraudulent conversion of the property of another by a person who has lawful possession of the property.
Many companies suffer losses from embezzlement, but it can be very difficult to trace when the offenses are minor or when the person committing the crime knows how to hide it well. Many companies do not discover the loss until they are to do a thorough audit in the face of a merger or acquisition. Money can be embezzled from the cash drawer or petty cash, or it can be slowly drained from corporate savings or credit accounts. No matter how large or small the offense is, however, you will feel the losses in your bottom line eventually. Call ICS today for an embezzlement investigation if you suspect that someone in your company is misappropriating property or funds, and we can find out who is doing it, how they are doing it, and what they are doing with the property or funds once it leaves your office or accounts.
Embezzlement Investigation Information:
- Potential Methods of Embezzlement
- Falsification of Records to Conceal the Activity
- Handwriting Analysis
- If an employee is falsifying records or creating false accounts and writing phantom checks, then an ICS expert handwriting analyst will be able to determine who is doing it by comparing the documents in question with authentic documents
- Altered Dates or Document Timelines
- Removing, adding, or changing information and dates on official documents may be done in an effort to conceal embezzlement, but ICS experts can determine the true age of the document, the authenticity of any signature affixed to it, and other pertinent information to determine what is real and what is not
- Create a false vendor account, supply false bills to the company being embezzled so that the checks appear legitimate
- Create phantom employees, who are then paid with payroll checks
- Ponzi-like schemes where early investors are paid with funds received from later investors who are being tricked into believing they will get a high return
- Forensic Accounting
- Very detail-oriented, time-consuming process of scouring the company financials to determine where and when losses are occurring, and who is likely to be the culprit
- Related ICS Services:
- Technical Surveillance Countermeasures
- Computer and Physical Evidence Forensic Services
- Undercover and Covert Investigations
- Pre-Employment and Employee Screening
- Criminal Investigation Services
- Polygraph or Lie Detection Services
- Supplier and Vendor Screening
- Shredded or Destroyed Document Reconstruction
- Hidden Asset Investigation
ICS Experience and Expertise:
- Operating since 1967
- Far greater operational reach than any other investigative service in the world
- Built through experience and expertise with a mix of law enforcement and military backgrounds
- All services are performed and billed on an hourly basis.
- Investigators are available 24/7.
- Global resources network for domestic and international work
- Constantly evolving technical capabilities to adapt to advances in electronics and technology
- Use of cutting edge technology and equipment
- Free Consultation for Needs Analysis
- Design an Action Plan
- Engagement and Fees
- Execute Action Plan
- Present Thorough Documentation of All Results/Findings
Are you in Need?
Embezzlement Investigations, even in minor cases, should be taken very seriously. If you terminate someone’s employment based on unfounded suspicions of embezzlement, you may open yourself to legal liability for wrongful termination and defamation. Contact ICS at the first sign of any suspicion of embezzlement for a free, no-obligation consultation to determine how deep your problem goes. We have a team of expert investigators ready to go to work for you to find the proof you need to protect your assets.